So now the Stag has been back on the road for a bit, I'm ironing out a few of the problems that are arising.
1. Starter Motor. This has been working intermittently for a while now, even before I took it off the road, and it wasn't getting any better by itself. After considering high-torque examples, I decided to support a local business and took the old Lucas unit to Nacton Auto Electrics in Ipswich. For £40 they fitted a new solenoid and gave it a check over. The brushes they said were 'like new, and last forever on these old motors'. Fantastic service.
2. Exhaust Manifolds. While I contemplate what to do with the exhaust, the blowing from the near side manifold was getting annoying. 2 of the mounting flanges had rusted and were allowing gases to escape. My welding is not great, but I thought I'd try and create a repair, by building up the low areas with weld then grinding back.
Quite pleased with the results. There's still a little blow, but that's mostly from where the down pipe joins the manifold, which is a horrible joint.
3. Valley Gasket. This is repair I'm not proud of, but it's done the job. I noticed a fairly serious oil leak, with oil pooling in the V and running down the rear of the block. My first thoughts was that the rubber seals at the end had failed, but closer inspection showed a tiny pin hole in a rusty patch on the tin valley gasket, with oil oozing out under higher revs.
You can just see it on the upper rib in this photo.
I went for the second option, and pooled an amount of Araldite over the affected area.
It does look like someone has sneezed on it, but so far it's holding.
4. I also cut down my homemade tailpipes, so they tuck under the bumper. They look less like scaffolding now and it's neatened up the rear end a little.